In 2008, we were certified as one of the first “VT Green Hotels“. Essentially, a Green Hotel is any Vermont lodging establishment that solidifies its commitment to environmental excellence by achieving a set of environmental standards.
Although each property achieves these standards uniquely, each conducts an environmental opportunity assessment, adopts environmentally preferable practices, and develops an environmental management plan that guides its efforts to reduce the environmental consequences of its operations continually.
Our Environmental Policy
The Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast is committed to protecting the environment, the health and safety of our guests and employees, and the community in which we conduct our business. It is our policy to seek improvements throughout our business operations to lessen our impact on the local and global environment by conserving energy, water, and other natural resources; reducing waste generation; recycling and purchasing recycled products, and reducing our use of toxic materials. We believe that as a business we have a responsibility not only to minimize our impact but also to make environmental policy a key and integral part of our business strategy.
- On an immediate level, we are committed to day to day practices which will minimize our environmental impact. Examples would be that we recycle glass, plastic, metals, paper and cardboard and that we use energy saving compact fluorescent bulbs wherever possible.
- We are also looking at the long term. For us, this involves looking at ways in which we can run the hotel using an increasing amount of renewable energy sources. We have started the investigation into the opportunity to purchase energy from more environmentally friendly sources (i.e. cow power), and we are watching the developments in Wind and Solar energy with interest.
Some of Our Existing Green Initiatives
- We have committed to using as much local product as possible.
- We have reduced our electric demand through efficient energy replacements.
- We have committed to the “Cow Power” alternative energy program.
- We have installed a rainwater reclamation system that is used for garden irrigation.
- We have eliminated all but the required non-environmentally friendly cleaning products.
- We have a towel and linen reuse program in place.
- We recycle everything that can be recycled.
- We use recycled materials wherever possible.
- We have completely overhauled our heat and hot water system with one that is not only more efficient but utilizes the latest in alternative energy options.
- We have eliminated bottled water at the inn, in its place we are using refillable sealed glass water carafes in each room.