The farms of Vermont take over downtown Brattleboro and throw a big party every summer. The Strolling of the Heifers celebration includes great food, music, tours, and farm animals on parade. The Slow Living Summit, also part of the festival, has a professional farming and food summit, in addition to an entertaining expo. The fun event kicks off Thursday, May 31st and lasts the whole weekend. Make the Inn on Putney Road your home during this weekend bash. Our beautiful manor with lovely grounds will be a welcomed retreat after a day of festival activities. We are an easy walk to downtown Brattleboro, making enjoying the events stress-free and convenient. Our luxury guest rooms and gourmet breakfasts will have you rested and ready for another day. Reserve your room with us today and begin summer with a charming small-town celebration.
Farm Events in Downtown Brattleboro
The Slow Living Summit begins on Thursday, May 31st. Conference attendees gather at the River Garden in the heart of downtown Brattleboro. Speakers explore the current topics in the growing conscious food and agriculture businesses. Community leaders share their experiences and how small farms can create positive change in the industry. Practical topics on running a successful business are also covered. Talks, break-out sessions and social meet-ups at local restaurants are planned for the entire weekend.
The Strolling of the Heifers festival starts with a big block party in downtown Brattleboro, on Friday June 1st. Main Street will be closed to traffic so visitors can freely wander the street festival and enjoy the town’s Gallery Walk. In addition to the art galleries, there will be food and craft vendors to browse. Local bands fill the streets with music and dancing creating a joyous atmosphere.
The namesake event, “Strolling of the Heifers,” begins 10:00 AM Saturday along Main Street. Adorable calves, done up in hats and flowers, parade with the future farmers from local schools and 4H clubs. Other farm animals, in addition to tractors, clowns, floats and bands join the procession. Then head over to Brattleboro Common and Retreat Lawn for 11 acres of fun, food, entertainment and exhibits. The Slow Living Expo brings together local farmers, chefs, craftspeople, and musicians to display their talents. Added to the mix are performances by the New England Center for Circus Arts, a human foosball tournament and the famous Goat Olympics.
Farm Tours and Tour de Heifer!
A big highlight of the weekend is the chance to tour the local farms on Sunday. Each tour is about one hour and space is limited so pre-registration is required. Here are the fascinating farms to visit:
- The Bunker Farm – Guests can visit the animals on a pasture walk, tour the greenhouse and learn about the wood-fired maple syrup process.
- Scott Farm – This historic farm dates back to George Washington’s first term as president, and grows heirloom apples. Stroll their beautiful orchard and admire the 23 buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Full Plate Farm – This farm provides a huge variety of vegetables, flowers, fruits and nuts to their CSA members, farmers markets and local restaurants.
- The Robb Family Farm – Two generations of the Robb family farm this land now, in a tradition that goes back for more than 100 years. The former dairy farm now focuses on maple syrup and grass-fed beef.
- Miller Farm – Visit the milking parlour on this 600 acre, organic dairy farm that provides milk to create Stonyfield yogurt.
Bike the “Tour de Heifer!” Sunday morning, on 60 to 30 miles of Vermont’s most challenging dirt roads. The 15-mile country ride option makes for and easier but still hilly route. Those without bikes can join a guided 3-mile hike to the top of nearby Round Mountain. All the events begin at Lilac Ridge Farm and end there with a farm-fresh lunch.
Many visitors flock to our charming town for The Strolling of the Heifers festival and The Slow Living Summit. The Inn on Putney Road has an ideal, convenient location to all the events, and our serene garden will be a welcomed respite after a busy day. Book your room with us today while we still have availability for this fun-filled weekend!