Great Fall Hiking Trails Near Brattleboro, Vermont
Every autumn Brattleboro prepares for a flood of visitors in search of great fall hiking. It’s no wonder since the glowing foliage transforms the landscape and enhances the natural beauty of the area. Mountain summits, riversides and wooded hikes become magical treks through the vibrant seasonal colors. When looking for a fall hiking vacation, Vermont has everything for an ideal getaway. Not only do visitors have endless choices of great fall hiking trails, but also quaint towns with history, culture and wonderful restaurants. Brattleboro offers the very best expected in a charming New England town and even more. The historic downtown, overflows with artsy shops, cozy cafes and excellent restaurants. After exploring the great fall hiking, treat yourself to a romantic dinner and a movie at the elegant Latchis Theatre.
At the center of miles and miles of scenic hikes and walking distance to lively Brattleboro, find the Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast. This French Provincial manor, nestled in explansive, mature gardens that have direct access to the Hogle Wildlife Sanctuary trail. This picturesque, one mile trail leads to a 3.5 acre bird sanctuary. This lovely walk ends at the Retreat Trails with 9 miles of forested trails with views of a historic farm. Our guests also enjoy our large, comfortable rooms with private baths and classic decor. Wake to wonderful garden views and a delicious, gourmet breakfast. Book your great fall hiking getaway at the luxurious Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast.
5 Vermont State Parks with Great Fall Hiking Trails
Brattleboro has access to multiple state parks, hiking trails, mountains and the impressive Connecticut River. Explore this amazing scenery at its most stunning during the peak fall foliage season. Spend the day on the great fall hiking trails found in these nearby state parks:
- Townshend State Park – This 1,244 acre park sits at the foot of Bald Mountain on a bend of the West River. Hike to the 1,680 feet peak of the mountain through its forested slope with hemlock, sugar maple, red maple, birch and red oak for breath-taking summit views. The moderate to difficult Bald Mountain Trail will take about 3 hours to complete the round-trip 2.75 miles.
- Jamaica State Park – This park has 3 wonderful unique hiking trails to explore. One easy, riverside walk, a steep summit hike and a challenging trek to a 125 feet, cascading waterfall. Also, almost one-third of the park’s 1,122 acres includes beautiful hardwood trees that explode with color during the fall. For a complete panoramic view, take the .7-mile side trail at the summit to the observation tower. The peak is also accessible by car on a 3.7 mile paved Mt. Ascutney Parkway that leads to wonderful views.
- Lowell Lake State Park – This historic park has an easy 3.5 miles trail around the lake and also includes a Revolutionary War-era cemetery. The flat trail will take about 2 hours and offers beautiful views of the fall foliage reflecting off the water.
- Wilgus State Park – Combine a summit hike with sweeping views of the stunning Connecticut River Valley. This park offers two short hikes and access to the Connecticut River. Walk the .5 mile Wilgus Nature Trail along the river with informative signs and a wildlife viewing platform. While the 1 mile Pinnacle Trail hike climbs up for a great ridge-top views.
- Gifford Woods State Park – This is a premier destination for great fall hiking in Vermont and well worth the drive from Brattleboro. It contains one of the few old-growth hardwood tree stands remaining in Vermont. Admire the impressive sugar maple, beech, yellow birch, white ash and hemlocks. Choose from 5 great fall hiking trails and explore the ancient forests. Brook-side and nature trails offer easy loops through the woodlands. While the waterfall and overlook hikes will take a few hours.
Return to your private retreat at the Inn on Putney Road Bed and Breakfast after a day spent in the brilliant autumn foliage. The great fall hiking in Vermont refreshes the soul and restores serenity, but also can work up an appetite. Luckily Brattleboro has dozens of excellent cafes, pubs and restaurants to enjoy. Plan a romantic autumn vacation to Brattleboro with us today.
Located in Brattleboro Vermont our Bed and Breakfast is a great location for your next getaway to Vermont.